About Amazon SES
Built on top of the AWS architecture, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES) is a service that allows users to send emails at scale. The service is fairly limited and in the past has been favored by developers for sending transactional email only. Using Amazon SES directly requires developing a custom mechanism for processing bounces, complaints, and unsubscribes, and is required.
Amazon SES does NOT manage email campaigns, templates, or engagement reporting (opens, clicks).
If you already use Amazon SES for your transactional email, using BigMailer with your existing SES account allows you to:
- Store and manage your email template in an editor in BigMailer (no application code changes needed for updates).
- Automatically place your subscribers into a List to send marketing emails to.
- Send automated email sequences to new subscribers.
- Keep your bounces and complaints synced up with your marketing lists.
- See engagement analytics for your transactional emails.
If you are considering use of Amazon SES for your transactional email it’s best to setup on BigMailer from the beginning.
Email Marketing via Amazon SESBigMailer is an affordable email marketing platform built and optimized for agencies, consultants, and high volume senders. Since BigMailer customers connect their Amazon SES accounts, there’s no need for BigMailer to manage an ecosystem of servers or IP addresses with shared reputation like traditional email service providers.
Here are some benefits of using BigMailer in conjunction with your Amazon SES account:
- Support for bulk + auto/drip + transactional email campaigns
- Email campaign engagement tracking and reporting
- Powerful segmentation (custom data fields and campaign engagement) and geo-targeting
- Drag and drop email template editor with image hosting and template library plus HTML editor option
- UNLIMITED brands, user/client sub-accounts, custom templates and image hosting
- UNLIMITED emails per month
$0 up to 1000 contacts, only $1 per 1000 contacts with unlimited sending on paid plans.
Amazon SES Email Marketing Providers – Comparison
All Amazon SES customers have an option to add a dedicated IP for $25 per IP per month.
BigMailer vs. Sendy
Unlike BigMailer, Sendy requires hosting on your own server, so your performance and sending speed will depend on the server size/capacity. On the smallest/cheapest server your campaign can take all day to go out, instead of <1hr on a hosted solution. Sendy also doesn’t offer a drag-n-drop email template editor and you have to manage your IP reputation yourself.
BigMailer vs. Hosted Solutions
Compared to other hosted email platforms that connect to Amazon SES BigMailer offers several advantages:
- Opportunity to consolidate ALL email types in one platform (transactional, marketing, automation).
- Ability to manage multiple connections to Amazon SES, ideal for managing clients or multiple brands/projects.
- Two template editors to choose from – HTML for developers and drag-and-drop for marketers.
- See engagement analytics for your transactional emails (and optimize template without dev work).
- Help when you need it – chat support 7 days a week
Getting an Amazon SES Account out of Sandbox Mode
Newly created Amazon SES accounts are automatically placed in sandbox mode. To be able to send actual campaigns via the BigMailer platform, however, these new accounts must first be removed from this testing environment. Accomplishing this is as simple as requesting that Amazon increase your send limit.
Unless otherwise specified, this limit is typically set to 50,000 emails per rolling 24-hour period. If your list is larger than 50,000 contacts, be sure to indicate the specific number of emails you require as well as provide any other relevant information, such as links to your site and the pages where you collect email addresses. Verifying a sender domain can help speed up response and approval, while only having a gmail/yahoo email address associated with your account is likely to reesult in rejection. Most customers get their requests resolved within 1-2 business days. You can find more detailed information in this article about submitting a request to Amazon.
Setting up Multiple Amazon SES Accounts
When you manage multiple brands, products, websites or clients, it’s practical to set up and manage multiple Amazon SES accounts. If you’re part of an agency, your clients may already have their accounts established with high sending limits built up. Unlike its competitors, BigMailer offers support for easily managing multiple Amazon SES accounts and assigns them to your brands.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to link my own Amazon SES account to use BigMailer?
Can I get assistance with Amazon SES account setup?
Yes! We can assist you with setting up your Amazon SES account and connecting it to BigMailer. Just reach out to us via live chat on the pricing page. To get assistance, you need to provide us with a login to your AWS account that is in verified status.
How do I manage more than one Amazon SES account?
Can I get a dedicated IP address? If so, how much does it cost?
My Amazon SES account got suspended, what can I do?
You can ask for re-instatement if you have identified and addressed the reasons. Amazon typically doesn’t tell you why your account is suspended, but the main reasons are: 1) your bounce rate was too high – over 10% 2) your complaint rate was too high – over 0.1% 3) your sending volume suddenly increased (signals non-organic list growth via list purchasing) 4) brand confusion – your sender doesn’t match the name/logo used in the email body. In your response/request to Amazon you have to clearly state what issue you had identified and resolved, before asking for a review. A provider like BigMailer can prevent your account from getting suspended due to bounce rate – we automatically pause a campaign with bounce rate over a rate configurable by you (8% is the default).